A Bill Amending the SGA Bylaws to Insure the Proper Conduct of Members of the Student Government Association During SGA Elections
- WHEREAS Article 4 Section 2 Clause F of the CSE Constitution deals with the issue of proper campaigning and proper campaign procedure, which stipulates approved and unapproved actions in an election.
- WHEREAS Article 4 Section 3 Clause A of the CSE Constitution states that candidates of the elections are held responsible for their actions, the actions of members of a campaign group, and the actions of any member of the campaign team.
- WHEREAS members of the SGA have internal knowledge of the workings and dynamics of the organization on a level not shared by other members of the undergraduate community.
- WHEREAS members of the SGA are considered representatives of the SGA at all times who can speak to the opinions of the SGA body as a whole.
- WHERAS sections 4 and 5 can create a situation that allows a member of SGA to interfere in the elections and create an unfair advantage for specific candidates.
- WHEREAS members of the SGA are elected officials of the entire student body who have gone through the campaign procedures and know them and the implications of breaking them.
- WHEREAS members of the SGA should be held to a higher standard pursuant to the office they were elected to.
- WHEREAS Article 7 Section 7.01 of the SGA Constitution states that impeachment may be carried out for serious breaches of the Constitution and By-Laws, breaches of university, local, state and federal laws, or a lack of good behavior.
- THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED that the following be added to the SGA Bylaws in a new section, to comprise of the following text: “Members of the SGA who are found to have violated campaign procedure set out in the CSE Constitution or to have abused their internal knowledge of the workings and dynamics of the Student Government Association in order to interfere in the election process by other members of the Student Senate and the Executive Board will be put forth in front of the body in impeachment proceedings pursuant to the procedures for impeachment as set for by the SGA Constitution.”
It is so ordered.
Sponsor: Mimi Gu
Co-Sponsors: Merrill Anovick, Michael St. Germain
Committee: Appointments and Evaluations
Therefore, the bill: PASSES