A Bill Regarding a Student Services Grant
- WHEREAS the Student Government Association sees an opportunity to increase student involvement on campus.
- WHEREAS student-run initiatives can help improve the Hopkins campus and student life.
- WHEREAS the Student Government Association understands that student-influenced campus improvement projects may be as effective, if not more effective, than SGA-sponsored campus improvement projects.
- THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED that the Finance Committee shall promote a competition for a one-time Student Services Grant of $500-$1000, which the Finance Committee may vote whether or not to increase as the committee finds prudent.
- THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that the Student Services Grant shall be given to one student group based on a competitive application process, as established by the Finance Committee. The student groups must submit ideas that will enhance student life or improve campus activities, which will be advertised by the Student Government Association. The initial procedures, policies, and timelines for the project will be established between the chairman of the Finance Committee and the chosen student group.
- THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that any member currently on the Student Government Association may not apply for this grant.
- THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that a “student group” must be an informal collection of two or more students from any discipline with an idea for a campus improvement project. A “student group” may not be an already-established student organization, including but not limited to fraternities, sororities, on-campus clubs, and professional organizations. A “student group,” however, may include students from any or all of these organizations, so long as the “student group” does not have any binding affiliation with said organizations.
- THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that the Appointments and Evaluations Committee shall oversee that the project is run smoothly and effectively, and shall receive weekly progress updates from the chosen student group.
- THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that the project must be completed before the end of the Spring Semester, 2011.
- THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that the Finance Committee should entertain further Student Services Grants if this grant is deemed successful.
It is so ordered.
Sponsor: Nick Trenton
Co-Sponsors: Sean Murphy, Archie Henry
PASSED by the Senate by unanimous consent.