A Bill Regarding Startup Funding for New Student Groups
- WHEREAS the Student Government Association (SGA) recognizes that some newly-SGA-approved student groups face financial difficulties during their first semester of operations.
- WHEREAS some newly-SGA-approved student groups are ineligible to receive an annual budget from the Student Activities Commission (SAC) until one semester after approval by the SGA Appointments and Evaluations Committee.
- WHEREAS the SGA passed S.B.F.-2 to address this issue, and published the text of said bill at http://www.jhusga.com/documents/bills/139-sbf-1-start-up-funding-for-new-groups.
- WHEREAS S.B.F-2 does not adequately portray the SGA’s obligations to support newly-SGA-approved student groups.
- WHEREAS S.B.F-2 creates a potentially unlimited financial obligation for the SGA, and does not allow the SGA Finance Committee to exercise sufficient control over the SGA contingency account.
- THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED that S.B.F-2 is hereby declared null and void for all groups approved after fall 2010.
- THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that, at the beginning of each semester, the SGA Executive Treasurer shall allot a specified amount of money from the SGA contingency account to be distributed among eligible student groups which have been approved by the SGA Appointments and Evaluations Committee.
- THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that the SGA Finance Committee shall establish regular procedures which shall govern the application process for startup funding, and shall review all properly submitted applications from new student groups.
- THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that the SGA Finance Committee reserves the right to approve, deny, or table each request for startup funding on a case-by-case basis, and may also attach conditions and requirements to any startup funding at its discretion.
10. THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that groups eligible for SAC funding grants, or who are sponsored by an academic department, Sports Council, or other University office are ineligible for funding under this program.
11. THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that this bill shall go into effect immediately for the spring 2011 semester, and shall henceforth apply to all student groups approved by the SGA Appointments and Evaluations Committee, including those approved during Spring 2011.
It is so ordered.
Sponsor: Nick Trenton
Co-Sponsors: Hyun-Sik Choi, Sean Murphy, Saharsh Patel, Karen Poreh
Vote: In Favor: 19 Opposed: 0 Abstentions: 2
Therefore, the bill: PASSES
Vice President: _________________________________________________________