A Resolution Regarding Accountability and Transparency of the Student Government Association(“The Attendance and Accountability Act”)
- WHEREAS the Student Government Association (SGA) believes in accountability and transparency in all aspects of its organization.
- WHEREAS there has been a lack of accountability and transparency in the SGA as a whole, specifically regarding member absences.
- WHEREAS the number of excused and unexcused absences in the SGA has risen in the previous year.
- WHEREAS meeting attendances are currently only publicly available through meeting minutes.
- WHEREAS meeting minutes only include meeting attendances for SGA general body meetings and not committee meetings.
- WHEREAS Senators have continually submitted resolutions so late that the Senate and Executive Board do not have adequate time to read and consider them.
- THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED that all future meeting attendance records, including both excused and unexcused absences, shall henceforth be published to a specified page on the SGA’s website (currentlyhttp://jhusga.com/). The SGA Secretary shall be responsible for ensuring that this page is up to date.
- THEREFORE, BE IT RESOVLED that committee attendance records shall be included as part of overall meeting attendances, and shall be included on the SGA’s website as well.
- THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED that absences at SGA Senate meetings that are excused by the Vice President shall not include other group meetings and travel for personal enjoyment.
- THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED that unexcused committee meetings, early departures from and late arrivals of more than 10 minutes to Senate meetings shall count as one third of an unexcused Senate meeting absence.
- THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED that the same rules governing what absences are excused also govern what early departures and late arrivals are excused.
- THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED that the same rules for what qualify as excused absences, early departures, and late arrivals for Senate meetings shall apply to committee meetings and that the committee chair shall have authority in excusing absences.
- THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED that more than nine absences, excused or unexcused, results in removal from the SGA.
- THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED that no resolution that is submitted after 11:59pm the Sunday before meeting will be considered until the following meeting.
- THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that the attached resolutions be added to the bylaws and that they shall be put into effect for the 2011-2012 academic year.
It is so ordered.
Sponsor: Kirk Sabnani
Co-Sponsors: Nick Trenton, Sean Murphy, Mike Wu, Benjamin Googe, Joanna Gawlik
Therefore, the resolution: PASSES BY UNANIMOUS CONSENT
Vice President: _________________________________________________________
b. The vice president can only grant up to three excused absences for one senator in any given year, regardless of reason.
c. Lateness to general body meeting will be counted as 1/3 of an absence.
d. Committee absence will be counted as 1/3 of a meeting absence. Excuses can be granted by the committee chairperson as deemed necessary.
e. Class council absence will be counted as 1/3 of a meeting absence. Excuses can be granted by the class council president as deemed necessary.