A Resolution Regarding Smoking on the Homewood Campus
10. WHEREAS, the SGA has reviewed evidence provided by HKB, invited the group to attend a meeting of the Student Senate and present its views, and reviewed HKB’s response to the concerns of SGA senators.
11. THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED THAT, the SGA supports reasonable restrictions on smoking, if it can be shown that the policy changes will positively affect student health and well-being, and that the severity of the problem being addressed is sufficient to warrant university action.
12. THEREFORE BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED THAT, the SGA also supports the moving of ashtrays to areas 23-30 feet away from main building entrances and windows.
13. THEREFORE BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED THAT, the SGA also supports the securing of ashtrays, to prevent tampering, and the posting of better signage clarifying current university smoking policy.
14. THEREFORE BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED THAT, the SGA does not believe that HKB has in any way demonstrated that an all-out ban on tobacco smoking on the Hopkins campus would significantly benefit the overall health and well-being of students, faculty or staff. Moreover, neither HKB, nor any of the studies presented have demonstrated that an all-out ban would be any more effective than 23-30 foot de facto no-smoking zones at preventing student exposure to secondhand smoke.
15. THEREFORE BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED THAT, the SGA is strongly opposed to the imposition of a blanket ban on smoking on the Homewood campus.
16. THEREFORE BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED THAT, the SGA is also strongly opposed to the imposition of a fine on smoking and a ban on events that promote tobacco. The former measure will be difficult to enforce and will unduly infringe upon student rights. The latter proposal will unfairly limit the free expression rights of student groups on campus.
17. THEREFORE BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED THAT, a copy of this resolution shall be sent to Dean Boswell, Dean of Student Life, as well as Dean Burger, Dean of Undergraduate Education.
It is so ordered.
Sponsor: Nick Trenton
Co-sponsors: Affan Sheikh, Archie Henry, Wyatt Larkin
Vote: In Favor 19 Opposed 7 Abstentions 0
Therefore, the bill: PASSES
Vice President: ___________/s_______________