A Resolution Regarding University Policies with respect to Inclement Weather
- WHEREAS, the decision to cancel classes and close the Johns Hopkins University lies with Provost Lloyd Minor, with the counsel of others including Plant Operations.
- WHEREAS, there is no clear policy regarding inclement weather on the Johns Hopkins University’s webpage of policies (http://webapps.jhu.edu/jhuniverse/administration/minutes_policies_reports/policies/).
- WHEREAS, in light of the recent winter storm, the Johns Hopkins University was scheduled to remain open until an email was sent out by Dennis O’Shea, Executive Director of Communication and Public Affairs at 6:49 AM Monday, February 8.
- WHEREAS, the Johns Hopkins University was the only institution of higher education open in Baltimore City and County until Mr. O’Shea’s email announced the closing, despite warnings from various government officials, including Governor Martin O’Malley who noted that since the sidewalks had not been cleared; which posed an extreme hazard to both drivers and pedestrians.
- WHEREAS, the Student Government Association (hereafter “SGA”) issued a letter to President Ronald J. Daniels and Provost Minor expressing its discontent with the University’s decision to remain open (http://www.jhusga.com/documents/153-sga-letter-regarding-university-opening).
- WHEREAS, the SGA as the representative body of the undergraduates is concerned with the safety of the undergraduates.
- THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED THAT, the SGA is strongly concerned with the timing of the Johns Hopkins University’s decision (at 6:49 AM) as well as its contradictory nature. The decision to close was made because the JHMI shuttle service was disabled, however, a later emergency alert notified the public that the shuttle service would run on the Saturday schedule.
- THEREFORE BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED THAT, the SGA believes that there should be a clear university policy or protocol regarding inclement weather that may potentially affect the safety of the undergraduates and that any notice of delay or cancellation be communicated in a timely manner.
- THEREFORE BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED THAT, the SGA would like to communicate and work with Provost Minor and other university administrators to establish a clearer university policy regarding inclement weather and working towards a permanent policy.
- THEREFORE BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED THAT, a copy of this resolution shall be sent to Dean Boswell, Dean of Student Life; Dean Burger, Dean of Undergraduate Education; Dean Adam Falk, James B. Knapp Dean of the Zanvyl Krieger School of Arts and Sciences; and Provost Lloyd B. Minor.
It is so ordered.
Sponsor: Affan Sheikh
Co-sponsors: Jake Meth, Dea Lovy
Vote: In Favor: 25 Opposed: 0 Abstentions: 0
Therefore, the bill: PASSES
Vice President: ____________/s______________